Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Issues

It is not just the March third incident that trampled my First Amendment right to peaceful assembly. It is not just the seemingly patriarchal movement back in time for Women's Rights. It is a whole lot of stuff. What is it that concerns me?

  • Education
  • Global warming
  • Eminent domain
  • Over-medication of children
  • Food freedoms
  • Chem trails in the sky
  • Excessive executive compensation
  • Aging infrastructure of our cities
  • Free speech
  • Chemicals leeching into foods
  • Money in politics
  • Inequality in our justice system
  • Government regulations, both too many and not enough
  • Honeybee collapse
  • Informed consent in medicine
  • Fracking
  • Lack of diversity in our country's leadership (at all levels, across all types of organizations)
  • Foreign policy that looks like we think we're better than anyone else
  • GMOs and fast track approvals
  • Rise of chronic childhood disease
  • Unfunded public pensions
  • Subsidies for BigAg
  • Obesity epidemic
  • Tax rates for the wealthy
  • Government reliance on industry funded research
  • The "War" on terror
  • Electro-magnetic fields (EMFs) and their impact on health
  • Freedom to choose birth options
  • Surveillance of U.S. citizens
  • "Food" served in the public school system
  • The health of our soils
  • Patent laws
  • That doctors are not required to take a nutrition course
  • Unjust wars
  • Immigration
  • Disenfranchisement of minorities
  • Clean energy and related self-sufficiency
  • Questionable Nonprofit tax status (SuperPACs AND the NFL)
  • Implicit and explicit degradation of women in the media
  • Chemicals in our foods
  • Due process
  • The size of our growing deficit
  • and, oh yeah, WOMEN'S RIGHTS!

The reason I am ready to spring into action with fellow mothers is because the list of issues I follow with increased concern over the past few years just keeps growing. If the laws and policies were judicious and driven by the citizens I do not believe this list would continue to grow. If the mothers were actively overseeing decisions you *KNOW* this list would shrink. Need an example? There would definitely NOT be pink slime purchased for our public school children. If it's not good enough for fast food, why on earth would anyone think it should be served to our innocents?

I feel as though I am not represented. You could call me disenfranchised and as an educated, upper-middle class, white woman that probably comes as a surprise to politicians. When I stop and think about it, I realize that I have never felt represented but it did not previously bother me because life was pretty good and I was young. But now I am a mother. I am watching this beautiful democracy earned with the blood, sweat and tears of previous generations as it seems to degrade before my very eyes. I blame Republicans AND Democrats.

As a friend said to me the other day (and I'm paraphrasing), "Political debate used to be fun in this country and now it's getting downright scary!" By the way, she and I have opposite views on a hot topic but she still supports my right to express an opinion. She is one fabulous mother.

So I plan to join with other mothers to return social consciousness and civil discourse to the mainstream. We have been pretty busy with our lives but we are going to MAKE TIME to get involved. If it weren't for social media we would still be isolated in our kitchens, offices, and bedrooms watching some talking head in some other city tell us the news. But now we can tweet, retweet, pin it, post it on Facebook, make a YouTube video, and otherwise begin yelling from the rooftops. I will keep my children by my side throughout this awakening and I have the full support of my husband.

I am not here to threaten or scare anybody, but I AM here to WAKE THEM UP. I do not want to promote the emotion of anger, hatred, or blame. I believe the sorry state we are in is not because of "bad" people or malfeasance, although "turning a blind eye" comes to mind more often than not. Instead, I believe the United States has deeply rooted systemic issues that need to be resolved. We cannot be complacent any longer or things are going to be in very, very bad shape for our children. And don't get me started on what it could look like seven generations from now if we remain on the path we are on.
Image from Zombie Survival Course

"Zombies" is not a pretty scenario for our future.

What issues are YOU concerned about??? Are you concerned enough to give up some time, talent, and energy to work with others? Would love to see you on the Capitol steps!

1 comment:

  1. I like your list. It's quite comprehensive. Too bad we still have so many issues. I'm re-reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and recommending it to everyone. It's a warning call.

    ReplyDelete